While we’re waiting for the rain

It’s been exceedingly hot here in Denmark for the past few weeks and we have officially entered into heat wave territory but the people in the know have promised rain this weekend. I hope they’re right; I wouldn’t mind a good cool down.

While I wait, I’ve been working on a makeup bag that I intend to put up for sale in my shop but I like it so much I might end up keeping it myself. I’ll decide what I want to do when it’s finished.

foto 2

I’ve used a thin quilt for the interior which makes the feel of the bag really nice, especially against the light blue polyester lining.

foto 1

Yesterday I bought some new fabric and a few other bits and pieces and I have a few different projects to start work on so I won’t be bored any time soon!


Coming soon!

I am almost ready to start my adventure into bead selling in my Etsy shop. I have gotten my hands on some fantastic Czeck fire polish beads and will have them available very soon. They come in sizes 3mm, 4mm and 6mm. Here’s a sneak peek.

6mm_peridot 1 4mm_opaque turquoise AB 13mm_apollo gold 2


Finished apron – Sew for Victory 2014

A few days ago I finished the apron I was sewing for the Sew for Victory 2014 challenge. It turned out better than I expected and I’m not sure I have the heart to wear it for cooking. I don’t want it to get covered in grease spots, lol. As I worked away at it it turned out to become vintage in a few different ways. First, here’s a picture of the illustration from the pattern and the apron I made. (I had to get the help of a woolen blanket to model it for me, sorry)

apron Apron 4

I ended up making view C but I think it would also look good if I used the binding to make the crosses in view B. It would give it a little more character.

The patterned fabric is from years ago and though not 40s appropriate it’s certainly pushing being vintage. I’ve been looking for a project to make with it and I think it looks good as an apron.

The thread I used was a pale yellow that was in the remains of my mother’s stash and I’ve often wondered if it was worth keeping because I couldn’t see myself making something that would require yellow thread. The green biased binding was also my mother’s and from the 80s at least, so another vintage item.

bånd og trådMy sewing machine is a somewhat recent buy for me and it wasn’t until a couple of months ago that I really started sewing with it. When I was about half way finished with my apron I noticed a round adjustable thing at the top of the machine that I remember adjusting when I got it but which use thoroughly escaped me. Reading through the manual I had a look at the different stitch options and realised it has an overcast option (!). Boy could I have used that on my previous project. I promptly decided to use it for my apron and the results were really good. I have to keep that in mind for next time.

Apron 8To finish off the edge of the apron I used the green biased binding from the previous photo. I’ve never had any luck using biased binding in the past so I was a bit nervous of how it would turn out. Apart from a few places on the back where it didn’t catch it ended up really good. And I can just stitch the rest in place by hand.

Apron 7Apron 2

Apron 1

All in all I’ve thoroughly enjoyed making this apron. And even though it looks like a quick project it has taken me a surprisingly long time to finish.

I want to say a thank you to Rochelle who started this challenge. It has really gotten me excited about sewing my own clothes.

Sew for Victory 2014



I’ve decided to join the Sew for Victory 2014; a vintage sew-along. This was created by Rochelle over at Lucky Lucille and it’s the second time it takes place. I’ve done a bit of sewing before but am still trying to learn and improve my technique so I’ve decided to make an apron. I think that will be challenging enough that I’ll feel like I’ve made an effort but not be so difficult that I’ll want to give up halfway because I can’t get the darts to match up or the seams equally straight. I’m definitely looking forward to it!

Kumihimo chakra bracelets

I had an idea about two weeks ago when I received my newest order of beads for my kumihimo bracelets. I had ordered some lovely blue and red beads and they gave me the idea of chakra bracelets. I’ve done some chakra work before and find it really beneficial so making bracelets as an aid to people who also work with chakras seemed like a great idea. I started with the root chakra because I had the beads for it already. The bracelet itself is made with glass beads of course and then I found an online shop where I could get semi-precious beads in singles as opposed to buying a whole string so I could test out the design. I chose to use a garnet for the root chakra, as this is one of the stones associated with that particular chakra. I also bought some bead caps and pins so I could attach the bead like a charm with a bit of decoration. I love how it turned out and have put up the first two in my shop. Here’s a sort of close up of the bead caps:

chakra armbånd 2

You probably noticed the blue bracelet. That’s the one for the throat chakra. Since I had the beads to make it I decided I might just as well, even though I would have liked to go from the first chakra to the seventh and not jump around (the root chakra is the first and the throat chakra is the fifth). But I’m trying to find beads for the bracelets I can’t make yet. The colour of the throat chakra is blue and I’ve used two colours of blue beads to make it and a turquoise for the bead.

chakra armbånd 1

So far I’m happy with making these bracelets and hope they will appeal to other people as well.